Monday, July 11, 2011

It's swimsuit season...

Which means looking good, and probably working out.  Although sweating it out at the gym isn't my most favorite thing to do, it's something that's important to me so that I can continue to feel and look my best. 

I appreciate most sporting activities, but what I really love about them are the outfits.  And also, who doesn't LOVE shopping for cute workout attire? Whether it be the elliptical at the gym, playing tennis, hitting golf balls at the driving range, or taking a bike ride, the outfits are what gets me going for a motivational workout! The only problem with finding attractive activewear is that it can sometimes break the bank if you go overboard with the super fabulous items at, say, Lululemon or the Nike section at Nordstroms.  And while I do have a few items from both of these stores, the majority of my workout clothes hail from places like Target or Marshalls/TJ Maxx that have some fantastic alternatives at an affordable price. 

Here are some of my favorites that should get you through a day at the gym:

1.  (This one's for the ladies only... sorry guys!) The C9 by Champion Women's Seamless Fashion Cami is my most favorite sports bra.  It's not only supportive for very active workout sessions, but it's dries quickly for ladies on the go, and comes in pretty colors like hot pink and bright turquoise! 

2.  A few weeks ago I was at Marshalls, and came across a pair of running shorts by Layer 8 Qwick-Dry Apparel.  These are the type of shorts that have the built-in underwear, and are so lightweight and comfortable.  I recommend checking out Marshalls (and I hear that TJ Maxx sells this brand, as well) for these shorts, especially if you're a runner because they don't chafe or ride-up.  Plus, they come in cute colors like dark grey with pink piping along the seams!

3.  Because I have more t-shirts than I know what to do with (thanks to the KKGs at Vanderbilt University), I usually work out in one and forget about looking like a workout fashionista on the top.  However, for the sake of this post, I am going to recommend the Nike Tri Blend tank top for summer workouts.  They're a bit pricey, but at Zappos.com you can find them for $25 (http://www.zappos.com/product/7759047/color/322325), and they're long, which means they won't ride-up and potentially show your belly.  And again, they come in great color combos so you can coordinate your outfits!  

4.  Two Christmas's ago, my mom bought me extremely expensive running socks ($11 per pair), and now I compare all socks to them.  I have yet to find socks as awesome and comfortable as Balga Hidden Comfort (http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/Hidden+Comfort/part_number=8025/423.0.1.1.0.0.0.0.0?).  Thanks, mom, for making me a sock snob :-)

Brooks Ghost 3 Running Shoe
5.  I used to be a Nike shoe girl, but now I love my Brooks running shoes.  There is a great running store in Hudson, Ohio called The Vertical Runner (http://www.verticalrunner.com) that introduced me to the Ghost 3 shoe.  I was looking for something supportive and lightweight for cross training, and this definitely fits the bill.  Plus, for $80, the price is right!  Oh, and the colors are cool too -- I have the bright orange and white like the one in the picture to the left!


Well, there you have it.  A list of workout clothing items that (besides the $11 socks) won't hurt the wallet to purchase, but will make you look like a serious workout buff!  I wish you all a wonderful Monday, and if you plan to hit the gym or do any other type of working out today, I hope you look your best!


No comments:

Post a Comment