Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hello humidity, farewell good hair days!

That's right, the DC summer is upon us, which means at least another 2 months of unfavorable weather conditions... what a bummer!  You would think that after living here for 5 years that I would get used to the unbearable summers with heat indexes over 100 degrees, but that is seriously not the case.   I still have a hard time facing the heat, and don't even get me started on the humidity that engulfs the metro stations, making the trains feel like stuffy incubators...

Instead of lamenting the onset of the heat (which is overly easy to do), I thought I'd spend some time thinking of alternate options of things to do inside when it's just TOO HOT to be outside.  Plus, there's no harm in finding more things to do in our nation's capitol, right?  I hope you enjoy the list I've put together!

Oklahoma!
1.  The musical that won four Helen Hayes awards, Oklahoma!, is returning to the Arena Stage (by the SW waterfront) July 8-October 4.  I can say first hand, as I saw this show last November, that this is an amazing musical that is captivating and easy to sing along to!  I have a great love for organized dancing and musicals, so I LOVED this show, and I think those who share similar interests to mine would enjoy it as well :-)


2.  The Capitol Fringe Festival begins today, and goes through July 24.  Over 2000 artists are set to perform at many of the venues around town.  I've never been to this festival before, but it seems like something I would love to check out... I'll seek out the indoor venues!  The performances are not all musical, so if you're looking for comedy, puppetry, dance, cabaret, and many more, then check out the site (http://capfringe.org/fringe-festival.html) and go!

Ris... it's French for rice
3.  Even though DC is not exactly the fashion capitol of the USA, we still have fashion events too!  This would be so fun to sign up for with a few girlfriends... Ris (corner of 23rd and L NW) is hosting a Summer Brunch Soiree this Saturday from noon-3pm, tix are $45... including bottomless mimosas (could get messy!).  What's better than brunch, mimosas, and getting to see the latest fashions from South Moon Under (who doesn't love this place?!) and Rue 14??  

So there you have it... a small list of things to do this weekend that don't require endless hours of being outside.  FYI, I found my inspiration for all of these events at the washingtonian.com, so if these ideas don't tickle your fancy, take a look and find something that does!

No comments:

Post a Comment