Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Food for Weekend Thought?

So, I’m ready for the weekend, and more importantly I’m ready for two nights of dinners out on the town. When trying to think of new or interesting places to dine, one of my dear friends (who shall remain nameless, but you know who you are), typically names one notorious institution called Paolo’s, and makes reservations immediately (the number is programmed in her phone). Of course this is not a bad thing, and I have one of the weakest spots ever for Paolo’s (mainly because of their generous pours of wine and loads of bread sticks, which is something I have grown to fully appreciate), but I think I need to find something new and fresh for the Summer of 2011.  What do you think?!
The one and only... Paolo's


It’s summer, and what does summer mean?  It means MEXICAN FOOD.  That’s right, what’s better than being able to comfortably sit outside, margarita in hand, endless chips at a fingers reach, and a huge smile on your face?  Well, nothing is better than that.  Another friend who shall remain nameless and I have been touting various Mexican restaurants around the city for almost five years, and I feel as though it is my duty to share our findings, and introduce you to the ‘best of’s’ in our own opinion.  I realize that some of these restaurants are not new, nor will they replace Paolo’s, but they are the answer to fun and festive eateries for the Summer of 2011.  So, enjoy the list, and go to at least one over the next few months!



1.  Alero (Cleveland Park location):  Alero has, hands down, the BEST chips (and a very tasty salsa too, might I add) in this city.  They are thin, light, and not overly greasy.  I also need to mention that the PRICE IS RIGHT at Alero… need I mention the $5 glasses of Chardonnay?  And that’s not even happy hour prices… yes, Alero is quite the bang for your buck, and the wait staff is extremely friendly and usually helpful (unless they forget about you, but that’s not the point).


Chips and Salsa!
2.  Los Cuates (Georgetown):  Although I have a very special place in my heart for this restaurant because it was the location of my first date with my fabulous boyfriend, it still ranks very high on my list of Mexican restaurants. So, I think Los Cuates has the BEST salsa in town.  It is so fresh, and has the right ratio of diced veggies to liquid, which makes for ideal chip scooping conditions.  The only issue with LC is that it’s small, which means you’re basically eating with your neighbors, but it’s all good if you focus on the salsa.

3.  Cactus Cantina (Upper Glover Park… or Cleveland Park if you don’t know what I’m talking about):  This place wins for being a large and very good overall Mexican restaurant, where you know you can get a table, no matter the size, in under 20 minutes (even if they tell you the wait time is something ridiculous like an hour).  It also has SUPER fast service, the wait staff is competent (perhaps they’re the children of neighborhood families??), and the price is very much affordable.  (If you hit this spot on a non-drinking night, you can eat for two for under $20 – unbelievable in this city!)



EL Centro (delicious) margarita
4.  El Centro (14th St):  So, I went here about a month back with some friends, and I give this place majjjjjor props for a.  having a roof top (what is with DC not having a plethora of rooftop bars?  Don’t they know that’s the jackpot in customer attraction?), b.  making AMAZING margs/other frozen fruity drinks that are not annoyingly super sweet (PS El Centro wins best drinks because of this), and c. for having three levels of eating/bar space that make you feel cozy in all four seasons.  Kudos El Centro for being a new restaurant that is very much functional and enjoyable!


5.  Lauriol Plaza (Dupont):  I am not a huge fan of LP because it’s always SOOO crowded, and unlike it’s sister restaurant (Cactus Cantina), the wait time really is an hour+.  I include this place in my list because it’s just a scene, and truthfully it’s a fun place to go to every once and awhile, and has decent food/drink.  

6.  Cantina Marina (SW Waterfront):  A fabulous Mexican restaurant to go to solely because of its location on the Potomac.  Other than that, everything else is pretty much like every other Mexican joint.

7.  Rosa Mexicana (Chinatown):  I had completely forgotten about Rosa, which is a sin because the BEST (and strongest) Pomegranate Margaritas can be found here.  One too many and you’re not feeling so hot in the morning!  

8.  Oyamel (Chinatown/Downtown):  If you want Mexican tapas, this place is for you — small plates for the Latino taste buds, and it’s quite tasty, too! 


** That’s all for now, but please let me know if there is a new place opening up because I’d love to take my lovely friends there for a fun and festive evening!  If not, it’s back to Paolo’s :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment